Posted: 19-10-2016 In: Driving Tips
Whether you are developing driving skills or you have been driving for many years, there are a number of Do’s and Don’ts that you should always adhere to. It is handy to bear these in mind because they are guidance and rules that apply to everyone. You’ll find that most of these tips are based in common sense but when it comes to staying safe on the road, taking the time to reinforce what you should and shouldn’t do is never a bad thing.
Some of the pertinent Do’s that a driver should undertake are as follows:
- When weather conditions are wet and/or dangerous, you should drive slowly and take additional care
- You should always buckle up your seatbelt when driving
- When approaching a curve you must always slow down
- Always keep your eye on the roads and the surroundings to ensure you are fully focused at all times
- You should service your car on a regular basis and make sure that it is kept in great condition
- Always carry your driving licence with you
- Always maintain a safe distance between yourself and other cars on the road
If you are looking to develop good habits and you want to make safe driving second nature, these are the tips that you should follow. One of the most important steps for people to realise is that driving can be very different when the surface of the road is compromised by the weather conditions. There is also the fact that weather conditions like rain or fog can impact on your ability to see while high winds may impact on your ability to remain in full control of your car.
This is why you should drive at a slower pace and more carefully when the weather conditions are unpleasant. This isn’t necessarily a criticism of any driver but changeable weather conditions can cause problems and there is also the fact that you don’t know how other drivers will react to these changing conditions. Travelling at a slower pace and paying more attention to your surroundings will help you to stay in complete control, no matter what arises.
Another issue that learner drivers should be aware of is that it makes sense to keep their car in great condition. A regular service can save money, it can make your car more efficient and it will help you to drive in a safer manner. There are many steps and jobs that drivers can take by themselves to care for their car and it is of benefit to develop minor mechanic and maintenance skills. There is also a lot to be said for finding a reliable and reputable mechanic who can help you maintain your vehicle.
A good driving school or instructor will reinforce most of these points, encouraging you to do them every time you drive. Before too long, you will follow these steps every time and you will become a better driver.
It is important to know that there some things a driver should never do, and here are some of the most pertinent Don’ts for a driver.
- You should never over speed
- Never overtake in a reckless manner or when you haven’t checked that it is safe to do so
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or any other substances
- Never park in an area where you are not permitted to park your vehicle
- When on a well-lit road, never use your full-beams
- Do not weave between lanes of traffic
- Unless you are looking to notify people of danger or a hazard, do not use your horn
While some of these tips are common sense and some of them are well-known criminal offences, it never hurts to remind yourself what you shouldn’t do when driving a car. It is often helpful to observe other drivers and think about their behaviour that gets you annoyed, frustrated or angry. It is likely that other drivers weaving between lanes or using their horn for no apparent reason will annoy you. If certain behaviour annoys you, it is likely to annoy others, so don’t do it yourself.
This means that you shouldn’t form the opinion that because other people do it, it is okay for you to do it. Other drivers shouldn’t be your benchmark, recognised Do’s and Don’ts of driving should be your benchmark, and following these tips will go a long way to ensuring you make good decisions every single time you get on the road.
There are many more Do’s and Don’ts you should follow when you drive and it can be of benefit to compile your own list. Whether you do this with your driving instructor, with other drivers you know or by yourself, being clear on what you should and shouldn’t do on the road will help you improve as a driver. Following the Do’s and Don’ts of driving will also help to keep you safe, which is one of the best reasons to follow these tips.